Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Thirteenth Tale - January 2008

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Chosen by: Shelley
Location: Shelley's in Roseville

This meeting was also Christina's baby shower. I made black bean lasagne, and the rest of the girls brought sides. After we ate, we discussed the book.

I hadn't read a scary book in awhile, and although this wasn't a "scary slasher book", it was a kind of ghost story and got my pulse going a few times while reading in the dark, in the middle of the night. It is set in England as has a good old fashioned gothic, haunting, love story feel, much like Wuthering Heights, which I love. The two main characters are Vida, England's most famous writer, and a plain, young biographer, Margaret. Vida is reclusive and is nearing the end of her life, so she wants her life story to be told, on her terms. She chooses Margaret to write her biography. Margaret struggles with whether it is true or not. The story that unravels before her, past and present, is suspenseful and haunting. Those of us who read it seemed to enjoy it. A bit slow at times, it proves to keep the pages turning toward the ending.

After the discussion, we had Christina open her gifts and had cake. The cake was from Wuollet's and they did a great job of putting a cute little baby and a blanket on the top. You never go wrong when you go Wuollet's. She found out that she is having a baby girl! Yeah! She is also decorating the baby's room in classic children's books, as she has been collecting them for quite some time. We all loved that idea and gave a big "Awww". Nothing else really new. Kelly and I are still pregnant and feeling pretty good getting out of that first trimester. I recently got back from Hawaii for Molly, my sister in law's graduation from nursing school. I was a blast and I did try surfing, but when I fell off the board and it hit me in the side, I figured it was probably not a great idea being with child and all ;o)


No comments:

Post a Comment