Saturday, February 13, 2010

Shadow Divers - February 1st, 2005

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
Chosen by: Carolyn
Location: Carolyn's house in Apple Valley

We had a good turn out tonight and most of us actually finished this book! Angie, Carolyn, Christina, Kerry, Ryan, Jessica T. were all in attendence. Carolyn's son Kai is 13 months old and is walking all over. Brian and Carolyn have worked things out and it's going well, which makes life with a toddler much easier. I'm happy for them. Ryan is expecting in just 2 short months. She is feeling good and looks great! They are not finding out what the sex is. Kerry is now also pregnant and due in September which makes her about 12 weeks now. Our group is really beginning to expand!! Cody is doing very well and is coming up on his year anniversary of his liver transplant! Can't believe it's been a year. Christina needs to have surgery - thyroidectomy. We of course wish for a speedy recovery for her. Angie and Matt's divorce is final now. I hurt for her but she is healing and doing alright. Her dogs, Gypsy and Atlas keep her busy.

From the first few pages of this book, I knew I would be disappointed when it was over. This is a true account of "wreck divers" John Chatterton and Richard Kohler and the mystery of a certain German submarine off the coast of New Jersey, sunk in WWII. From the gripping accounts of the dangers of deep sea and wreck diving, to the personal stories of the German soldiers aboard the sub, this is an amazing tale. The author does a great job sucking you in, if it was fiction it wouldn't be any better. It is fascinating, this "hobby" these guys partake in. The suspense of finding out how they ID the wreck is what really made this such a page turner. There was a lot to discuss in and around this book and it was fun to talk about since most of us had read it. There is a TV show on the History channel called "Deep Sea Divers" and Chatterton and Kohler are in it. I have only watched it once, and it wasn't quite as intriguing as the story in the book, but intriguing all the same. Thanks Carolyn for a great read. I will definitely be recommending this one and cheers to Chatterton and Kohler and all who ever stepped foot onto the Seeker!

1 comment:

  1. I think I have given this as gifts to people three different times, great read!

    ReplyDelete