Saturday, February 20, 2010

Mansfield Park - June 2008

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Chosen by: Kelly
Location: Kerry's house in West St. Paul

Since the weather has been so nice, Kerry offered to have the meeting at her place by the pool. It was a gorgeous summer night.

No one actually finished the book....oops. The few of us who did attempt it just couldn't do it. We are literary failures. I think I may have gotten the furthest, which was only a few chapters. Carolyn gave it a good shot too. If you are not used to or conditioned to reading 17th century literature, it is quite a difficult feat. All the names got confusing because they usually use last names and there were several "Miss Bertrams". It was hard to know which "Miss Bertram" they were talking about and the story got all jumbled. We are all moms of young kids, or pregnant too, so the last thing we want to do at night is make our brains hurt while reading for entertainment. Pre-kids, I could have finished it and I'm sure I would think it a masterpiece like the rest of the scholars, but it's not happening right now.

It was Rachel Pierce's first appearance and she is a cutey!! She looks a lot like Jamie. Christina is glowing as a new mom and it's great to see her so happy. She's a natural.

Kelly and I are due soon and are both tired of the heat and just plain tired. The next meeting will have 2 new members: a new BABY BOY Shea and a new baby ? Lakeman (they are not finding out the sex.) I will be a mommy of 3...let the craziness begin!

The meeting was fun and it went a bit late. Kelly and I stayed until about 11ish chatting about pregnancy and motherhood etc, keeping poor Kerry up who had just worked the past night.

No comments:

Post a Comment